New house New Friends


So I decided that I might need to find some new friends. Not that I'm unwilling to drive two to four hours to visit people I already know since I have to go that far anyway to find a place to shop, but some people seem to think it is too far.
Finding friends is an intensely painful experience. It's like a job interview except you never have the promise of getting paid. I hate getting to know people and then realizing they don't really like you. Which is why I like hanging out with people for specific reasons- like "these are Andy and Nadell, we all like to play games." I guess most of our friends like to play games. I thought of an ongoing potential friend interview process that I should start instituting. With a series of questionnaire that can be filled out online- maybe in the comment section of my blog- I can screen people for their interests and figure out if we should try to schedule something.
My other least favorite thing is scheduling something with other people. Calling someone to schedule a hang out is almost as bad as ordering pizza.

First 10 questions.
1. Do you like playing games? Describe.
2. Describe your political feelings. What do the words "right wing nut job" mean to you? What about "liberali"?
3. Are you sarcastic?
4. What does the word "worldliness" mean to you. Essay answers are accepted.
5. How religious do you think you are? Why?
6. Describe how a two year old child should act.
7. Do you have any food/pet allergies?
8. What do you like to eat when hanging out with other people?
9. How do you feel about Wal Mart?
10. How late is too late for starting a hang out on a weekend? Weekday?

These questions are important. It is difficult finding couple friends because you have to like both of them and even more difficult when children are involved because then you have to like their kids and your kids have to like their kids.
Sometimes I almost understand people who don't seem to hang out with anyone.
Except then there is no one to play board games with, and Danielle probably shouldn't see some of the movies I want to see.

NaDell (September 1, 2009 at 4:27 AM)  

We SO loved playing games with you so much last summer. Instant fun! We'd just call each other, and if nothing was going on, hang out, eat, and play. SO much fun!
I'm pretty sure we are now a lot more than 2-4 hours away though. Pretty sure. I mean, I haven't tried to come to where you are in that amount of time, but I think it is. Even if I had a jet.
Drop in with cookies are always welcome over here for a get to know you session. Once a new couple in our ward came to chat? (I don't remember exactly the reason they came now-I didn't feed them and we didn't play games, so I don't know...) and they stayed for like four hours. It was fun chatting, but at the end, we were like, "Man, we could have played a game in that amount of time!"
I think it's a little silly for me to fill out your questions, since I already know how much you adore me (sarcasm-but I'm sure you caught that!), so if you are ever over here, you'd better just come on in. (NOT sarcasm. Totally serious. Stop in and see us sometime!)
I do kind of want to hear your answers to some of those questions though. I'm not sure I know where you stand on a few of them...we must not have gotten around to a few.
And what movies do you want to see? Man, I'm so curious now! Thanks a lot.
Hope you enjoyed the rambling. This should count for a couple comments, I think. :)

Brooke (September 1, 2009 at 7:51 AM)  

Janae,
Are any of these deal breakers by themselves? If so could you star them? I fear if I weren't family I might not make the cut as I am a right winged walmart lover who gets angry at settlers of catan. Good luck finding cooler friends than us! hahaha.

HeatherandTanner (September 1, 2009 at 2:55 PM)  

I miss playing games with you guys! Even if it got a "little" stressful with the competitive nature of our family, it was still overall fun!

kathryn (September 1, 2009 at 7:40 PM)  

Janae, I miss you!! I think we covered all of your criteria while we played games. You are funny too.

The Blind Spot (September 2, 2009 at 2:19 PM)  

First 10 questions.
1. Do you like playing games? Yes, yes, yes, but nobody wants to play with me :(
2. Describe your political feelings. What do the words "right wing nut job" mean to you? What about "liberali"? Never heard those before (you see, I'm still not perfect in your mother tongue). I just lean more towards the left ;)
3. Are you sarcastic? Me, nah, never!
4. What does the word "worldliness" mean to you. Essay answers are accepted. Why do you pick the words that I don't have any real concept of? Admit it, you don't want to be my friend.
5. How religious do you think you are? Why? No need to answer that one, I guess.
6. Describe how a two year old child should act. Like a two-year old child. Play, scream till I'm deaf, drag dirt everywhere and drool all over me.
7. Do you have any food/pet allergies? Nope, I eat everything and cuddle with anything furry. Wait, that was a lie, I don't like sea food (but I'm not allergic).
8. What do you like to eat when hanging out with other people? Snacks, pasta, pizza (self-made, not ordered), salad, Chilli, etc. anything that's easy to make ;)
9. How do you feel about Wal Mart? Indifferent, just another store. How do you feel about Kaufland or REWE or maybe even IKEA? ;)
10. How late is too late for starting a hang out on a weekend? Weekday? Weekend: 11 pm. Weekdays: 10 pm

So, are we still friends? Have we ever been? If not, can we become friends now? I must tell you though, I live farther away than just 4 hours. :(

janaemadsen (September 2, 2009 at 3:20 PM)  

of course we are friends- you are the only one who answered the questions. I wish you lived closer so we could play more board games.

mablebrown (September 2, 2009 at 8:57 PM)  

I'll answer your questions Janae, although, I better be your friend no matter what my answers!!!

1. I like playing games but never get to. I like Trivial Pursuit, and Halo, so I'm guessing I'd like all the games in between.
2. Right-wing nut job= Sarah Palin, Liberali= hmm, I don't know.
3. I can be sarcastic, but usually I'm not.
4. Worldliness, is that next to Cleanliness?
5. I don't know how to answer that question.
6. Two year olds should act however they are acting. Obviously.
7. I think I'm allergic to cats.
8. I like most all food, not picky.
9. I think Wal-Mart is the devil. But it's ok if you shop there, I mean, my Mom does and I still love her!
10. It's never too late to hang out!

Post a Comment