My First House

I am finally posting an exterior photo of the house we got. Everyone will still have to wait to see the yellow bathroom which I think is really the highlight of the house. Who doesn't want a vintage yellow fiberglass tub with a matching sink and toilet?
I really liked it and also a split level house with a bigger yard. We decided to get this one because I guess most people don't like split level houses. I was so scared and nervous to actually buy a house and I still can't believe that we bought a house. You can see the nicely mowed lawn. I mowed the lawn Monday and I am really proud of myself. You see I saw that I needed to clean the kitchen floor so I did what any sane mother would do- went outside to mow the lawn in the hopes that I would be able to tell someone about being 39 weeks pregnant and mowing my lawn. Now the two readers of my blog know. Mowing the lawn will not make you go into labor. Neither will planting bulbs. Or trimming the shrubs. But it will ensure that you walk inside happy that you didn't clean the kitchen floor first since you just trudged in some grass.
I used a bag this time- mulching lawn mower my eye. Which brings me to the next thing- do you see the entryway?

ENTRYWAY: BEFORE
- I need ideas. I want to replace the side windows that are painted (off white even though the rest of the house is white) with wooden side panels and different glass. We are also thinking about a new front door but we have a screen that you can see in this photo. I like screen doors but I have a hard time opening the one we have.
I think some of the things in our entryway are hideous- the bushes are overgrown (they have been significantly trimmed back for this photo) and the walkway is super narrow. Not even normal sized- non pregnant people really make it. I guess only parts of it are hideous. This photo features John's ripstick and the tie out I put Austin on the other day. You might also notice that we have a fence in our driveway. Lots of work to do if anyone wants to come I still haven't torn out the bushes yet because I feel like maybe I should wait until we have a fence in and fixing the front is a remote possibility. I've been looking at front yards and getting ideas- it is exciting to think about putting in a walkway myself. I'm going to probably wait until after the baby which might mean I will wait until next spring- but hopefully I will be putting in the new steps sometime in October.


Now if only I can get those boxes in my basement unpacked...

kathryn (September 16, 2009 at 11:29 AM)  

That is so fun! It is so exciting to own your own house and be able to do anything you want to it!! I think it is a cute house too. I really like the entry. And I am WAY impressed that you mowed the lawn at 38 weeks pregnant!!!

sivab (September 16, 2009 at 12:34 PM)  

I am really impressed seeing as to I don't even mow the lawn when I am minus 38 weeks pregnant. It is nice to finally put a picture to the house. How's that survey coming along?

BrittWilk (September 16, 2009 at 9:44 PM)  

you have a house. i so want to be you right now. and you're due in 7 days! yipee skippy... and i hope you unpack fast! :) can't wait to see pics of the new and cute member of the madsen family.

The Blind Spot (September 17, 2009 at 5:23 AM)  

I like your house and I am jealous that you own one (or maybe in 35 years when it's paid off ;) Alex and I are thinking about buying some land so we can start building in about 25 years when we can afford it. Awesome that you still mow the lawn! If I was your neighbor I'd probably rip the mower out of your hand and do it myself because I wouldn't know what to do with a woman giving birth in her front yard :)

aaron wilkinson (September 18, 2009 at 3:29 PM)  

I would ditch the idea of putting in a new door. It's way too expensive. Instead put a reindeer and sleigh setup on the roof with matching Christmas lights all around and no one will notice the door. It would also be a lot cheaper anyways.

So, take my really great advice for what it is and have fun in your new house. :) I'm really excited that you guys have a house and Britt and I look forward to seeing more pictures of it. Especially with a new baby in it!

Post a Comment