Special Shares

Every now and then I try to think of different things I can write about in my blog. Since the post about my breast pump was probably my favorite one and not many people seem to read or comment on my blog I am realizing that maybe I am not gifted at blogging. I guess I just don't always have a blog worthy life. Or maybe I am just not looking at this the right way. Claire told me my blog was boring since it was just about stuff I wanted to buy. I guess making a celebration of my consumerism isn't exactly blog worthy, but I still think shopping and talking about what I would buy if I could buy lots of stuff if pretty darn fun. This all brings us to what could be a great format for a blog- maybe my blog- SPECIAL SHARES.
While I was in Germany on my mission my first companion was Sister Mathews. She was a cheerleader from Utah and she was super hard working a focused. Maybe a little intensely focused for me, because I still wasn't used to being a missionary and I didn't really know who I was or what I wanted from life. What I am saying is that I wanted to talk about non "missionary" things including boys or home life. It seems like the most random things come to mind to say when you are compelled to be with someone for 24 hours a day 7 days a week. At the very beginning of our companionship Sister Mathews introduced me to the concept of a "Special Share." This term applies to lots of things you can talk about- like a birthing story when no one has asked or something about your health. One day the Mission President's wife told us about how she had really bad diarrhea the whole time she was at training at the MTC. That was a special share. It probably counted as two since it was at a zone conference in her testimony. Sister Mathews limited me to two special shares a day.
Today I visited my friend Allison and we walked from her house to ALDI, a local supermaket. I thought it was going to be close but it actually was about a fourty minute walk each way. I didn't feel like I had to go to the gym after that. An interesting thing happened though today while I was hanging out with Allison. Her sister had a baby and Allison asked me my birthing story. Immediately, I thought of the special share.
A birthing story really is a special share, and since I am limited to two a day I think I should put two birthing special shares on my blog. Because I can.

  1. At some point as Danielle was getting pulled out with forceps and they were cutting the cord and me with a big pair of scissors- somewhere in the gore of birth I ended up with a substantial amount of blood on my face. Maybe I got flicked in the face with the cord blood I was meaning to donate for research. I am still not quite sure of how I got it, but I just remember it and also my intense desire to finally drink juice.
  2. I had an incredibly difficult time adjusting back to using the bathroom after having a baby.
Now the second special share is obviously more special than the first, but from it we learn a lot about what a special share should be- a little bit too personal but not necessarily so graphic that people know what is going on. I still have some shame, after all. Well those are my special shares of the day. And in honor of the special share I am including a photo of the game of Twilight Imperium John and I are playing all alone. It is taking up the whole dinner table which means either we need a bigger table or we need to finally finish the game. I miss all the old game partners! Thanks for participating in my special share.

Rachelle Sharp (May 6, 2008 at 2:16 PM)  

Dude, my whole life is made up of special shares. Gross.

DC Diva (May 6, 2008 at 2:18 PM)  

I love special share! The details from my birthing story are still a little to fresh to share... :)

kathryn (May 6, 2008 at 3:22 PM)  

I like the idea of special shares too. I think anything connected with bodily functions and bathrooms should not be shared. Those are not very special, just gross. And I am glad to know that you and John still play board games.

AM (May 6, 2008 at 7:17 PM)  
This comment has been removed by the author.
AM (May 6, 2008 at 7:20 PM)  

wow i cna't believe i made it onto you blog. i just hope you feel loved that people are posting comments! (and they are right- a lot of you posts are about stuff you wish you could buy...)

Nelson Family (May 6, 2008 at 9:06 PM)  

I wish I could limit all the random strangers I meet to 2 special shares a day. Unless the whole birthing story counts as only 1, then I wish it was 0. People tell you way more than you ever wanted to hear when you are pregnant.

Claire (May 7, 2008 at 11:26 PM)  

Yeah for special shares! Just for the record . . . I don't think your blog is boring, I just can't think of comments for your purchasing posts.

Shraterman (May 8, 2008 at 2:48 PM)  

Janae, wtf are you doing playing TI without me?!? Come on, visit me already you punk and lets get the dice rollin!

janaemadsen (May 8, 2008 at 3:59 PM)  

I think that there should be some online gaming story. Also special shares are mostly things you shouldn't really share- like talking about back home on a mission or talking about partying at work. It isn't just disgusting birthing stories.

birdchaser (May 13, 2008 at 7:17 PM)  

How did I get here? There's no bird stories here?

mablebrown (July 2, 2008 at 12:31 AM)  

Oh my goodness! I hope you got your juice! You've got to read my post about my labor and delivery clinical last week!

Post a Comment