My Talk on Sunday

Well it has finally happened- I got to speak in Church on Sunday. I was nervous. At first I thought- why would I be nervous I did this in Germany- I taught at the MTC- I don't have a super tough time coming up with what I should say. Wendy and Harley were in town (more to come on that) and they were so fun! I have been surprised- my topic was temporal preparedness in these days. In parenthesis on the sheet of instructions was (focus on Jesus) I wasn't sure if that meant I was to focus on Jesus coming in "these days". I thought maybe I could give a real crazy one and read all sorts of scriptures- about dragons. Maybe I could bust out the apocrypha. Yes that would be awesome. And since John's class girls voted Ruth as their favorite person in the Bible (I think they learned who she was at some random YW activity- the girls in my class like Moses' mother- lots of woman power in a Bible with relatively few women) I thought maybe I could talk about her.
OK I guess I was really supposed to talk about Food Storage- some of my favorite parts?

  • My unauthorized use of Jana's Blog. Jana wasn't there so she might not actually know that I used her blog. The Post about Food Storage was perfect. I got away with it and I didn't have to look at Jana afterwards and explain it because I didn't see her. Actually I still haven't told her- maybe I should or maybe she will read my blog and be inspired to comment. Her blog entry was hilarious and I needed something good. I mean- I don't have any funny stories about food storage. When we were growing up at the same time that my family really needed to use our food storage some bugs broke into it and spoiled everything. So we were poor with spoiled food storage. My mom actually ground wheat and made bread. Also my friends recently have been into food storage and I thought- not fun. but having friends is fun so I have actually been doing my food storage. So I told everyone that I was using someone's blog without permission. It's public domain right? Maybe one of my attorney friends can tell me if I can get in trouble for this. Halfway through I said who's blog it was. It was the only part of my talk where people laughed. At least I recognize that other people don't think I'm funny- only I think I'm funny. (and not very funny)
  • I just realized that I will be out of town when the fruit in my container garden starts to grow. Proving that it wasn't actually to save money, but to waste it. That is consistent with my social food storage habits. But I have really enjoyed the fresh Basil.
  • John starting his talk with "hello ward"
  • Preparing for 8 hours each morning during Danielle's nap time then having Wendy and Harley think my talk was last minute. Maybe it's quality was last minute.
  • Realizing all my real fear comes from how badly we mock people during their talks. I know we shouldn't, and now I know why.
  • Harley and Wendy put Danielle to sleep during my talk. Why are our friends consistently better at caring for our child? I think that means we have good friends. It's nice when your friends put your baby to sleep or clean them- rather than feeding your pumped breast milk to their children like happened to us a little while ago. How to address why it is inappropriate to be feeding your child a bottle full of my breast milk when my child is sitting right there crying because she is hungry? the Kings have a brand new baby and they were so good at watching Danielle- who was really fussy by the way.
Well I hope everything went well- I still always say "Uh..." and I want people to really like my talks. Also I secretly want them to bring their Nintendo DS and play it all through the talk so they don't look at me and see that I am sweating. I will have to wear a jacket next time- especially since it was FREEZING. People told me I did a good job and I think some of them really meant it and weren't just being nice. Even if they were faking it I like the compliments. I guess there really is something to being positive even if you don't mean it.

How will I face Jana? Now I am the Food Storage Blog Entry Thief. I stole in order to give my talk in Church. I wonder if those two things cancel each other out and in the end I am still down in the righteousness game since we left church right after sacrament meeting. But Jana wasn't even there. Lucky me.

john (May 27, 2008 at 10:53 PM)  

Janae did do a good job. People laughed more than once. And even though I also gave a talk, the stake president complimented me on Janae's talk rather than mine. so it must have been alright.

Claire (May 28, 2008 at 12:53 PM)  

I'm glad your talk went well. Save the crazy dragon scriptures for testimony meeting with investigators! ;)

Jennifer (May 28, 2008 at 5:40 PM)  

So - I got curious and went and read Jana's blog. Hilarious.

mablebrown (July 2, 2008 at 12:10 AM)  

I went and read Jana's blog too! It was pretty hilarious, but then I realized her blog is the one with like a billion hits and I added one more!!

Post a Comment