Fundraisers

My friend had a great post about fundraisers on her blog. It is full of lies though. She claims that fundraisers aren't fantastic. I can't understand it- I thought we were friends. Here she is, attacking the sacred fundraiser on her super popular blog.
Seriously. I would love for some kid to show up at my house with his (or her) box of world's finest chocolate and charge me three dollars for a box of mint meltaways. Home delivery man.
When I was in middle school we had lots of band fund raisers. I single handedly won the chocolate challenge. Why do I say "single handedly" which my spell checker is getting so mad about?- easy. Because I ate all the chocolate. More than two cases worth I think. And I sold the most chocolate in my school. I don't know if I sold any to my neighbors either.
I think back on those times and wish I still had a metabolism that would let me eat a case of chocolate without gaining ten pounds. Also I have wondered for years where the fundraising children had gone. No one came to our house with magazine sign up sheets. No one came with chocolate. No one even came with wrapping paper, which I don't actually like but the point is no one came. I was broken hearted.
Then this year like a miracle occured. One of my friends had a child in girl scouts. I bought a few boxes from her. And from the other lady in the ward who asked me if I wanted some. And I heard someone else was selling them and bought a few from her. When I was asked to bring a dessert for enrichment I proudly displayed my thin mints on a tray. They were very popular because Girl Scout Cookies are the best. John and I just finished out last pizza from the pizza sale. Still no magazines, but I've heard the kids don't make much money from that.
Now some fund raisers are not that great, like the one my friend's daughter was doing with a hamburger press and little teddy bear. They remind me of the type of crafts you can do at a craft fair- something that will eventually end up in an ornament box for the "ugly/family" tree or in the trash.
But hey, I like my oven bake Churros, and I didn't have to go to the store to get them.

sivab (March 6, 2009 at 12:11 PM)  

Janae it is good to know that there is still someone out there supporting these fundraisers. I remember when we were in NZ we would go ahead and buy the entire box of caramellos or moros if we were lucky. They were to take back to our "family overseas". They never crossed the ocean. You are too generous to have shared your girl scout cookies at a ward party. I would have hoarded them, they are like gold!Have you tried the thin mint ice-cream? Is it any good?

DC Diva (March 6, 2009 at 12:13 PM)  

You were in band? What did you play?

Claire (March 7, 2009 at 5:55 PM)  

I love that you won the prize for selling candy bars!

Post a Comment