Car Shopping

On Saturday John and I avoided cleaning our house by going car shopping. I discovered that I never want to go car shopping again, and I am the most greedy irresponsible person alive. Rather than just showing up at a dealership and going home three hours later with a new car and a father in law who would never trust our judgment again, we decided to be "logical" about it. The first thing that we deduced was that we should not be getting a loan. There went every car I've ever dreamed of owning next. We thought about getting a bigger car since our family would be getting bigger- if I have a baby in September (probable) and then another one while John is in medical school (this would mean I would be hating my life of course) that will be three children. With Austin in the back suddenly the Outback would be very crammed. John could ride alongside the car on his bike but it was stolen a while ago.
Our budget isn't really big enough for a minivan or an SUV so I didn't have to go through the existential debate about which one I wanted. We did test drive a mini van. Danielle fits in the minivan. She also fit in the Yaris we drove though.
I hate taking a child car shopping. The only positive thing about it is when the prepubescent salesperson is getting too annoying you can just leave and blame it on the baby. They don't try to get you a better deal on the 99 Avalon they thought would be perfect for you. Danielle really wanted nummies while we were on our shopping outing and she wanted to put them on the car seats and hopefully kick the chair in front of her. Where Sahid who works at a dealership on 309 is sitting- he could have maybe helped us if I could have heard him over the screaming. We told him what we wanted to spend, which of course we say less than we want to spend, and he promptly showed us cars that were 30-100% over out budget. I like his style. and his 06 Camry with leather seats and almost no miles.
I've discovered a few things- John and I for sure want different things in a car. John is like my dad and his dad about buying cars. So practical it almost hurts my feelings. First we researched cars online for like a million days. Toyota's and Hondas get really good reliability ratings. Minivans don't retain their value as well as SUV's blah blah Toyotas are the best cars in the world except the new Camry, which has only average reliability. Also it comes in the most beautiful blue color I have ever seen and I want one.
At the end of one week of constantly looking online and one day of actual shopping I have decided I quit.
We can get a super nice couch for the amount we budgeted for a car. From Ethan Allen but not from the Floor Sample Sale nice. I think I have found the car I want in our budget.

kathryn (March 23, 2009 at 11:31 AM)  

I hate car shopping too. I've only done it once--but it stinks! And you deserve big brownie points for taking Danielle with you. Good luck with it :)

mablebrown (March 23, 2009 at 7:19 PM)  

Car Shopping is horrible, the sales people are relentless, and everything is too expensive. Um, also you guys should get a Volkswagen...they are the best cars ever and also German. You like German.

Carlie (March 23, 2009 at 7:30 PM)  

I actually heard on the radio this morning that some new cars are selling less than used cars.
http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=102229803

Jennifer (March 25, 2009 at 1:18 AM)  

I have the BEST IDEA EVER!!! You could get Steve to hook you up with a deal on a new car out here, and then we could re-enact our cross-country adventure. Except this time we should drive through different states. Like not Kansas. Not Kansas EVER AGAIN!

Or maybe you should just come visit me. And fly home. Because driving from Utah to PA is just plain crazy.

Post a Comment