Running

Workout Plan
I have always liked to work out and suddenly find myself a little wobblier and floppier than before. I guess having a child does that to some of us. So I made a goal.
It involves something I am terrible at- running. Claire signed up for the Provo Half Marathon. Who does that? She blogged about it. I have always wanted to be a runner. I feel like if I even look at a treadmill my heart rate shoots up to 180 bpm. My throat closes- my feet go numb- my mind screams- how much longer. I proudly step on and after a warm up bump the speed to a whopping 5.5mph. I go as long as I think is humanly possible- almost an eternity.
It is twenty seconds. I almost never go more than twenty seconds without checking the time. Has anyone in the world ever made it through an entire ipod song without checking to see how far they have gone. In theory I know I can't run three miles during one Linkin Park song but that doesn't mean I'm not surprised when it doesn't happen.
I have always wanted to be a runner. My obvious lack of talent leaves me with girl crushes on runners. Once I had a friend who asked me if I wanted to go on a 50 mile run with him. I wasn't sure if I should just die in shame or question his intelligence. I want to be a runner- I want to fake it. One of my most vivid London memories is going running in Hyde Park with Nancy. After a few moments Nancy said- "boy, you really are slow," and ran without me. Not the first time it has happened.
But one of my life goals is to run a marathon. I made it in High School so I know it is important. I signed up for a run on May 1st here in PA. (It is only a half marathon) Claire pointed out that it doesn't matter if I am bad at it. She claims she is not a good runner. I know she is lying but it made me feel good. If I really want to do this I will have to practice. I am doing a training program. It is going horribly and I hate every minute of it. But I am confident that I will hate it no less in five years.
Maybe...

Carlie (January 12, 2010 at 11:25 PM)  

Good for you. I have been a runner. I actually lettered in cross country because i ran varsity two seasons, but since i was varsity that showed how sad our girl's team was. Oh well. I've never run a longer race than a 5k...I'm scared of more. I decided I want to become a swimmer, so I'm taking swimming lessons. They are going okay. I don't swallow nearly as much water as when I got started :)

aaron wilkinson (January 12, 2010 at 11:55 PM)  

EXACTLY how i feel about running. you're not alone. i ran 3 miles at 5.5 mph last night and felt like a champion. i know an 11 min mile is not champion status. poor me.

difference between you and me - no half marathon. you're my hero.

aaron wilkinson (January 12, 2010 at 11:56 PM)  

and that was britt - not aaron. :)

Jen (January 13, 2010 at 12:31 AM)  

You inspire me! Run baby run.

Christine (January 13, 2010 at 8:56 AM)  

GOOD FOR YOU! Fake it till you make it!! That's my motto with running. I've always believed that there are people who are born runners, and people who aren't. I'm an aren't. But I learned to love it... and now I've learned to avoid it.
Which run on May 1st? Is it the Lancaster one? I can't find any on the East Coast that aren't on Sunday. If it's close enough, I'll run it with you. (Did I really just type that?) And I agreed to do a marathon in September. Oiy!

sivab (January 13, 2010 at 9:48 AM)  

you still haven't sent me that link to your marathon so i can check it out. i guess this means we aren't a team.

Jennifer (January 14, 2010 at 12:03 AM)  

You are awesome, and so freaking stubborn, I know you'll get it done! Make me proud!

Claire (January 14, 2010 at 8:35 PM)  

For the record, 5.5 makes you a superstar.

The Blind Spot (January 15, 2010 at 10:16 AM)  

Janae, you're just like me! I want to be a runner, but at the same time I don't like running very much/am not very good at it. Here's what helped me:
-music that makes me happy when I listen to it
-I run with Alex, he's my motivator
-I only run outdoors, the treadmill is way too boring and you see no progress (too bad you have two kids to take care of)
-I set easy goals at first and then I try to run further and further. The first time I made the whole way without stopping once, I felt like a superhero (okay, not quite, but almost)
With these little tricks I actually got better and better. But then, winter got in the way ;)

Post a Comment