My Project Collection: Kitchen


We are still wildly working on the kitchen- the painting is almost done. I really like this hardware from Anthropologie and we ordered drawer pulls from the hardware store- THRILLING! Knobs are a harder decision because John doesn't like the glass knobs that I like. Also some of them are really expensive. I love looking at them- I look online a lot. I am glad we went with a light paint color because our kitchen looks cleaner and brighter. It makes me realize that our non-functioning oven hood doesn't match our oven. Jen noticed it right away when she visited and now it bothers me. It already bothered me that the hood didn't work. I decided I wanted the freak out and call mom print somewhere in my kitchen. That happens to me so frequently in the kitchen after all...

The current countertop in all it's worn out glory. My least favorite part of the kitchen is the floor- it's original linoleum. Someone told me you used to have to refinish linoleum and that might be why the finish is so strange. I covered it up with a rug so I don't have to think of it until we get the time to put tile in. My uncle was going to come help us do the floor but my house was too messy so we backed out. As soon as that happened a little piece of my heart died. So I had to go and buy the stacking kit for the washer and dryer (in the kitchen) and three shelves. Our microwave is going to live in the closet with the washer and dryer. When I got the idea I emptied out the current shelf and took down the rod. Then I realized we had to repair the wall. Is it wrong to wait on putting things together because I want to paint the closet. Then I thought maybe I should wait until we do the floor tile. Sigh- luckily I found new homes for all of the cleaners.

Our Kitchen adventure continues. If you ever want your life to be torn up for a few days just decide to paint your kitchen. It's like being naked- everything in your cupboards is on display. Danielle kept stealing my nutella. Maybe I shouldn't have food that I hide my kids- if I have to hide it I shouldn't eat it. Of course this morning I hid in the bathroom and ate my nutella toast and banana, grateful that the cabinet door was on. I don't know exactly what we will do with the back splash- I want to do a Tiffany blue porcelain subway tile but I'm not sure if it will be universally appealing since we probably won't live here forever.
To paint the cabinets we
cleaned them-
filled the holes with wood putty (if you want to level the surface just use a wet rag rather than sanding it flat- it works great)
sanded them
cleaned them again
painted primer 3-4 coats
paint 3-4 coats (sand between coats)
I used really light coats with the detail roller which I liked- for the corners I used a paintbrush for thicker coverage.
I had touch ups after the doors were hung.

My advice if you are painting cabinets-
Get the little detail rollers- I really liked using them and felt like the painting went faster.
Primer is wonderful.
It took us like a billion coats and you need lots of space to paint that- if I could do it again I would follow the advice I read to just get a line in your garage and paint them all rather than putting them all over in the kitchen- so I would paint when it is warmer. That being said I have kids so I can't just disappear in the garage all the time.
It takes a lot longer than you think- I read some thing that said you could do it in a weekend. umm OK maybe if that is your job- I think at least a week is necessary.
Off white is not white. No white porcelain sink for me.
John doesn't like Chrome- who doesn't like Chrome. that's not related. I love projects.

Carlie (January 20, 2010 at 1:20 AM)  

Does it ever worry you that someday you will be the mom that will be called when someone (probably Danielle) is freaking out :) You are ambitious with your home. It took me about four months of fretting and shopping and thinking just to pick out curtains for the apartment that I've been living in for a year and a half. The thought of making lots of little design decisions like that for a home makes me want to vomit...maybe I'll hire you to decorate my home.

sivab (January 20, 2010 at 8:55 AM)  

Janae it is looking really good I am impressed I think yours look better than ours. I hope Danielle doesn't take a pencil to yours like my kids did to mine. It didn't really make me smile.

Janet (January 20, 2010 at 10:11 AM)  

The white cabinets look classic and bright. It looks really good!

kathryn (January 20, 2010 at 10:19 AM)  

I love kitchen remodels! I have never lived in one in the middle of one, but I love thinking and planning for a new kitchen! It almost makes me want to move and do another one. The cabinets really do look beautiful. I can't imagine doing it in the middle of winter with two small kids. Good job!

Mel (January 24, 2010 at 10:06 AM)  

They look great, Janae! I second Kathryn's comment- I can't believe you did it in the middle of winter with two kids! I hate the color of my kitchen (celery green walls with oak cabinets) but hate the cold more, so I'm waiting for spring to take this one on. Anyway, love the tips and the results!

Post a Comment