Dear Toys


Dear Toys,
Once someone told us we spoiled Danielle. How? too many toys. In addition to being stored in my file of rude things people have told me this comment was completely ignored. Think my daughter has too many toys? Don't buy her any. I happen to think she needs more little ponies.
Anyway you toys live on my floor often. I buy you bins. I make you labels. With Sara's laminating machine. I wanted to buy my own machine to help organize you. I relive my childhood with you.
The first great toy purge is beginning. I remember the first time my parents made us throw away all of our stuffed animals except two. On a whim I let them throw away my beloved large stuffed dog for a smaller one with leather ears. Two weeks later the eyes fell off and it was discarded. ONE stuffed animal. Like any decent scarred new parent I am going through Danielle's toys in the middle of the night without telling her. Maybe she won't notice.
She will never know about the purge. How does one perform one of these? Obviously the ponies will last, and the McDonalds toys will be gone.
I will miss you toys.
Janae

Carlie (January 10, 2010 at 1:24 AM)  

My sister and I still talk about the mystery of "Baby Missy"...a beloved pound puppy that went missing. We had a theory that she ended up in my sister's time capsule that she made in 4th grade, so ten years later when she opened it, Baby Missy was not there. We decided she was an unfortunate victim of a toy purge. And, my room growing up was called "Pony Land" where my little ponies, stuffed animals, and humans lived together in harmony. I love My Little Ponies :)

NaDell (January 10, 2010 at 3:32 AM)  

I let my kids know about it, but I don't get rid of any sets of things (although I maybe should because we have too much). I show them the box after the fact and tell them that they are going to kids who don't have any and they are okay with that. I just can't get rid of sets of things that future kids might like and current kids still play with. I guess I'm a toy hoarder. Oh well, there are worse things to be called.

sivab (January 10, 2010 at 4:51 PM)  

I like to wait until the toys drive me insane and then I get in a mood where if I find one that is worthless like a macdonald toy and I just chuck it into a donation bag or rubbish bin. Ponies are the best and most sacred of toys so I always keep anything having to do with those. We also lost several toys during our "moves".

Post a Comment