Five Years





John and I celebrated our anniversary December 21. We have been married five years. It blows my mind that we are married. Every now and then I ask him if he can believe we are married. He says yes. I guess I am just a little slow on the uptake. Our anniversary was great because it was really relaxed and nice. Like John.
I went through and found some of my favorite photos from our wedding day. I really like the picture of us by the temple doors because we look good but not 10 years old like we look in all the other pictures. I was 23 when I got married but John was only 21. People still think he is in his teens. I loved the picture of my grandma and grandpa Berg because grandpa was so healthy. John sang me a song at our wedding and it was beautiful. We got married on winter solstice and I think it is funny to joke around about it being the darkest day of the year. There was a blizzard the day of our wedding. It was freezing. 21 other couples got married in the Salt Lake Temple that day.
My only regret? I didn't get my stuff together in time to have beautiful wedding favors at our wedding. It's like me and Christmas cards now.

marriage stats:
Pets:10
Boaz (gone with the great pregnancy parrot purge) African Grey 14 years old
Austin STILL HERE!
Taylor (allergic to pennsylvania- went crazy with allergy problems)
Mayli (see great parrot purge) African Grey 2 years old
Bedford (died at 14 weeks old- heartworm)
Simon- (I am allergic to cats) the best orange tabby ever to live
Maya- (died of autoimmune disorder) a sad sickly black cat I fell in love with. She hated me.
we also fostered Jackson and Jax and Lexi. Jax tried to kill our parrots.
We clearly don't have great luck with pets.
Children - one boy and one girl. we have better luck with children than pets.
Weddings we've seen- 6
Moves-6
College degrees- 3 (2 undergraduate 1 masters)
I learned to quilt
I have my first car ever.

Here are five things I like that John does. He only gets five this year.
5. John sometimes acts like he has a British accent. His accent is TERRIBLE. But it is really funny because he knows it is terrible and sometimes it morphs into an old man accent which he is much better at.
4. John is an optimist. I think he believes in people being good, which is increasingly rare.
3. John is a hard worker. I didn't really think about how this would become what I consider the most important characteristic to look for in a spouse. I love that I feel like we work equally hard.
2. John knows how to have fun. He reminds me that sometimes we need to go to the movies or hang out and do nothing.
1. John is good at change. He adjusts quickly which is a good thing since a lot has changed in our five years of marriage.

John is proving to be a worthy opponent. I like it.

NaDell (January 8, 2010 at 4:14 AM)  

Happy Anniversary (and half a month.) Glad you're still enjoying him enough to ask IF you are married for real and not WHY did I marry you? (At least that's how some wives seem to act.)
I enjoyed reading your post and seeing your wedding pictures.

Carlie (January 8, 2010 at 11:15 AM)  

Congratulations on five years and two children! I think it is cool that you got married on the winter solstice.

Chris W. (January 8, 2010 at 12:41 PM)  

Congrats! How have I never heard the "darkest day of the year" thing before? Funny!

johnm (January 8, 2010 at 1:45 PM)  

Janae is the best person alive.

Brooke (January 9, 2010 at 7:56 AM)  

You had the most gorgeous wedding and YOU were so beautiful that day!! I love your photos a lot. I like your list of John things. Did I ever tell you how much I love John? Well I do. He's like Paul but with different quirks and beedier eyes. I like his accents a ton and hoe he thinks he's so funny.

Claire (January 9, 2010 at 12:53 PM)  

Happy Anniversary! I loved your wedding, and laughed out loud while reading this post.

The Blind Spot (January 11, 2010 at 11:01 AM)  

Happy Anniversary! I'm so glad I got to see pictures of the "darkest day" :) I've never seen any. You look so beautiful(and not at all like 10), I especially like your satin jacket over the wedding dress.

Michael (January 17, 2010 at 4:45 PM)  

Hey, I remember that wedding... :) Thanks for coming to ours too! You guys both rock, and we miss you a ton. Hopefully we can get together again soon.

Post a Comment