Dear Neighbor

Dear Thoughtful Neighbor,
Thanks so much for your thoughtful note on the white car. I think your penmanship with a sharpie leaves a little to be desired but I appreciate the thought behind it. So we shouldn't park the car on the street because that makes us "Sloppy." Unfortunately our driveway is currently occupied by our uninstalled fence, which you apparently don't find as sloppy as our car on the street. We would have installed it by now but no one even wants to give us a quote on how much it would cost for them to put it in. So far three people haven't shown up or called us back, not counting surveyors. I think I know part of the reason that the economy here is bad- people don't seem to want to work. Winter is fast approaching so you might have to wait until spring. You might ask why the fence can't go in the garage? It is in the garage- sorry. Big fence.
I am not sure how I feel about being called sloppy. I noticed that our next door neighbors stopped parking their car in the street so I am guessing it isn't them. On the other side the old lady hasn't ever raked up her leaves so she probably didn't write the note. Maybe though, old ladies tend to be either really nice or super complainers.
I also wanted to thank you for not commenting on the rest of our house as sloppy. I have only mowed the lawn once since having a baby and I haven't bagged our huge pile of leaves. Maybe you are really trying to tell me not to rake my leaves into the public park across the street. I wouldn't but I don't have a leaf blower like all the rest of my neighbors. Did you not notice the patch of yard where we tore out some trees but can't decide what to put in? I guess a pile of dirt and yard debris isn't sloppy to you but I might have targeted that. I was hoping to have my yard be sloppy enough that one of my sweet friendly neighbors would spontaneously clean it, but so far it is still passable.
Or maybe you actually know that our car is having electrical problems and won't start right now. Sorry, no one in this lovely town can look at it until this weekend.
If only you had left your address so I could explain why I didn't think parking on a public street would be a concern.
Thank you for bringing my property value up with your immaculate yard. And always parking your car in the driveway. Now please stop letting your dog poop in the public park and not cleaning up after them.
Sloppy.
After reading your note I carefully folded it up and returned it to the car.

sivab (November 4, 2009 at 8:54 PM)  

You are kidding your fence guys and surveyors have STILL not shown up? What about the tree guys-is there any hope? I admit I so just rake my leaves over onto the bike path while my neighbors looked on. They tried to subtly talk me out of it but since the city leaf sucker guy doesn't come until Dec and I don't feel like bagging 68+ bags of leaves...

Carlie (November 4, 2009 at 11:05 PM)  

Oh dear. That makes me want to run out and buy a house. We've been having trouble with our neighbors parking in our "spot" on the street. We don't have a drive way, so we always park our 1 vehicle on the street, closest to our apartment. Our new neighbors either park in such a way that our car can't park there (3 cars fit very comfortably in front of the house) OR the neighbor with the super long drive way parks in one of the spots on the street instead of parking in their drive way. We finally talked to one set of neighbors and asked them to make room for us when they park. I shouldn't care so much about a stupid place to park, but I do. That feels nice to get off my chest :) Best of luck with the surveyors and leaves and such.

Mel (November 14, 2009 at 12:26 PM)  

We got a letter from the city that said our yard was unruly and our property was vacant, and if we didn't take care of it we'd have to pay a fine. Apparently, one of our neighbors (for some reason unbeknownst to us, although we think it might have to do with the "gentrification" problem) complained, and the city "inspected" the exterior of our house at the end of July. Now, we purchased our house July 9 and moved in a few weeks later, so we had barely even unpacked at the point our lovely new neighbors complained about us.

We've filed a FOIA to see if we can find out who complained. Then we plan to leave a flaming bag of poo on their doorstep.

Just kidding. But it is a fun thought.

mablebrown (November 14, 2009 at 5:48 PM)  

Good grief. Where is Mr. Rogers when you need him...I wish I were your neighbor!

Post a Comment