The Danielle Don't list.

I am really for positive teaching. I remember a seminar about how important it was to be positive when teaching people- the teacher said- "how many of you like to do something that you are bad at over and over again." I am a licensed teacher and I feel like it is my duty to teach my daughter. I try really hard to give her positive options rather than just saying no. Like- here is a baby biscuit to eat rather than that rawhide you stole from the dog, or here is a piece of paper to shred rather than your diaper.
Sometimes though, I just say- don't! or no, or stop, or some negative semi angry or just plain frustrated statement. I thought I should list them, just so everyone can know. Just sit back, relax, and imagine me in those rare moments when I realize Danielle is awfully quiet. Then I realize it's time to start the Danielle Don't list.
Danielle....
don't eat the toilet paper.
don't grab your diaper when we are changing you.
don't throw all your food to Austin the dog.
don't put that dirty diaper whipe in your mouth.
don't throw your shoes away.
don't run away from mommy in the mall
especially when I have merchandise from the store in my hand.
don't laugh at me and run further when I come to get you.
don't pull out your hair.
don't pull out mommy's hair.
don't steal cookies out of the dog's mouth.
don't tear up all the toilet paper.
and for that matter, stop trying to flush entire rolls of toilet paper.
please stop laughing at all Indian people you see.
don't try to bite me.
don't put your hand in Austin's mouth and grab his tongue.
don't grab his private parts either.
don't shut your hand in the drawer you can only reach on tiptoes again.
don't share the book with the baby by throwing it at them.
Please leave the pepto bismol in the fridge when we open it.
don't help us unload all the dishes in the dishwasher whenever it opens.
don't throw bowls on the floor and laugh gleefully when they shatter.
or plates for that matter.
also no laughing when you dig your nails into my skin.
don't throw everything you can reach on the floor at the grocery store.
don't dump your bottle all over the carpet.
or the couch.
or the dog.
don't throw all your food on the ground when we are at a restaraunt.
don't steal the babies pacifier and put it in your mouth.
or the babies food.
don't break through the child proofing on the cleaning cabinet again.
don't throw yourself head first, and backwards, off the bed.
or out of our arms every time we walk to the car.
don't spit your medicine back in mommy's face.

and please stop laughing when I tell you don't.

BrittWilk (June 20, 2008 at 1:22 PM)  

oh my gosh that list is priceless... and totally hilarious!! you should put that in your journal! way too funny. it really gives an insight into danielle's little personality. i love it!

Dana Carlin (June 23, 2008 at 5:15 PM)  

I would like to add:
Don't teach Killian how to get around the gate the is blocking the steps!
She's just too clever.

HeatherandTanner (June 24, 2008 at 11:33 AM)  

Ok my mom went to the mall a lot when I was a kid. And, I was evil and ran away and hid in the store racks so that no one could find me. My mom's comeback: A leash! I'm not talking about a dog leash, but a kid leash! They sell them! Terribly embarrasing but it works! I could only go as far as the leash would let me and my mom had no worries!

mablebrown (July 1, 2008 at 10:10 PM)  

I love this list and am seriously considering posting my own version..."the Ben don't list."

Post a Comment