Lunch Dates



A key element to humor is that you have to be doing things. I am not really doing things so my blog probably isn’t going to become a blog of note. Meanwhile my friend’s blog has received over 40 thousand hits. Here are my random thoughts for today.

  • There are some things I keep hearing here: the doctor said my grandma compounded her back and she has not cooked for fourteen years.
  • Grandparents should be spys because my grandma hears everything I say. I like her. Every time I talk on the phone she asks me about specific things we talked about.
  • My grandma is “tight” and told me not to use paper towels when I got here because it is too wasteful. I told her I would buy my own thank you very much and that I planned to use them with abandon. And I do. I use over 10 paper towels a day. Every time I do my grandma watches me and I can tell that she is cringing inside.
  • My grandma doesn't want to clean her house. Her kids can do that after she dies.
  • Today the visiting teachers came over and brought lunch. Only for her though. I sat at the table as they talked about falling down and so and so’s grandchild. One of the women has an ex daughter in law that was treated so well. Isn’t that always the way. They talked about injuries and marriage and children. After a while I started making cookies. It did not matter whether I was there or not.
It seems like for some people it doesn’t really matter if you are there. My theory: Each person has a certain amount of words that they need to say a day. My word count is quite high and sometimes I have to talk to myself. Or others just say the same words over and over again. My dad does that. I have talked to people and you can tell that they have been mulling over their words all day. Some know them as the "well spoken." Another possible description: story deprived. Old people store up their words for a long time- sometimes months. Then when you see them all the stored up words come out- in coherent stories if you are lucky. Except like me not much has happened in their lives. Not that I am saying my grandma is like some old people. Today we were talking and she said- I’ve already told you- and it was true. Proof that she is aware and remembers her conversations.
People keep asking my grandma is she needs anything and I tell her to say yes. It is my opinion that you should never refuse help.

BrittWilk (July 21, 2008 at 12:01 AM)  

i think your blog is noteworthy!!! :) i'll read any blog with funny posts and cute babies! (p.s. we'd like to request more danielle pics.) :)

Ian Swinton (July 21, 2008 at 7:20 AM)  
This comment has been removed by the author.
Janelle (July 21, 2008 at 7:23 AM)  

Janae darling...how are you? I just left you a comment (see above) but it showed it was by Ian and I didn't want to creep you out by saying darling and I miss you and all that stuff! haha...So I am re-writing it under my email. How is the west coast? Sounds like your g-ma is taking good care of you!! Well, I miss you out here in PA. Drop me a line sometime! Take care!

mablebrown (July 26, 2008 at 2:10 AM)  

I think Grandma Sharp is a genius. I love that she's not cleaning her house, that is just brilliant. Also, I know that you have a high daily word count, but I feel like we didn't get to talk enough last weekend. We need to get together again just to talk, and you should bring that girl Jen with you!

Post a Comment