Family Camp Philadelphia





We could stay at the Inn at Bowman's Hill which is in the countryside. Or the Rittenhouse Hotel which is in downtown Philadelphia. one of the disadvantages of Philadelphia is the high lodging expense. One option closer to our house is the William Penn Inn on the Sumneytown pike- one of the Oldest Inn's in the US. We have room for some people but not tons of room. I would recommend staying closer to town- maybe at the Great Valley House which is older than George Washington. I feel like lodging is the hardest for this area- ideally I would want a bed and breakfast or a cottage where there was a kitchen we could use- it would fit about 21 people so we could rent the whole thing out-and it would be near water or have a pool. So a lakeside group of cottages.
Here are the best places I found:
New Hope Wedgwood Inn. They have 8 rooms. and they would serve us breakfast.
Morris House Hotel in Phildelphia. I think Erik should stay in the presidential suite and we will all meet in his room for hanging out. There is also a kitchen there so we could cook. Or go to afternoon tea. the large extended suite also has a kitchen.
Finally the Hamanasset Hotel would be a great option. We could rent the two bedroom carriage house and hang out there. Dogs can come but I would have to call to see how they feel about children since we need all of their house and the carriage house most likely for all the kids- I like the idea of having an entire house for us.
We could also look into a vacation rental- I couldn't find the right size right now except a place that costs $25,000 a week which I think is a bit too pricey.

Kids:
Well if we wanted to go to the Philadelphia Zoo I would recommend the Birthday ZooFiesta- where we get five parking passes and admission for 20. I like it because it would probably save us money- we just have to do it for Anne since it will be closest to her birthday. Danielle loves seeing animals so the Philadelphia zoo would be fun. I think the kids would also like the Please Touch Museum where they can participate in Science.
Everyone:
I would also like to go walk around valley forge- it is a five mile loop if we want to walk or you can rent bikes. It is just a beautiful park and has some history. If people really want to get into history we could drive to other parts of PA and we should probably go tour independence hall while we are there. Since all of the Madsen's are scientists (I think) I would recommend the science museum. And while you are in Philadelphia you should climb the rocky stairs at the art museum- and see any special art exhibit. You can take a trolley tour which the kids might enjoy to go see the historical sites. Also there is lots of good shopping in Philadelphia- I like an area called Skippack closer to our house. We could eat at Basta Pasta which has regular and vegetarian options.
We could go see the Producers at the Walnut Street Theater on Friday night- if we don't want to go do that then it takes two hours to get to New York to see any of the numerous options on Broadway. There is also a concert called spring awakening that week. I like the idea of going to an event and I bet we could get babysitters.

Jennifer (July 27, 2008 at 9:54 PM)  

I really liked Valley Forge; it was really peaceful and pretty.

Independence Hall on the other hand - kindof overrated, but sortof obligatory, historical value and all...

And don't forget that FANTASTIC Ben Franklin museum we found when it was pouring rain. ha ha - what a joke!

Post a Comment