Guilty Pleasures

I don’t know exactly how I am going to watch the finale of the Bachelorette at my grandma’s house. Maybe she will go somewhere and I will sneak off and watch it online. I am excited to go to my grandma’s because I’ve heard she likes card games- what a fantastic person to spend lots of time with! My only problem is that I don’t know how she will feel about all my guilty pleasures. Like a show about someone eliminating potential boyfriends and “finding love” through a six week period of making out with (and more sometimes) with as many people as possible. My grandmother probably won’t be impressed if I explain to her that Deanna didn’t kiss everyone on the show, she did turn some of the guys down. Also she won't relate to my disappointment that Jeremy didn't win. Will he be the next Bachelor? I hope so!

Lucky for me my real guilty pleasure is over. The trashiest show ever. I love the neon lights. I am shocked with the phrase I love girls and I love boys. I love that they have taken something as trashy as the bachelor to new heights of trashiness. I watch A Shot at Love With Tila Tequila. She started as a playboy model and I'm still not quite sure why she is famous.
I have some really great friends in Philadelphia, but they seem really upright. I don’t know if I could admit to them that I like this show, seeing as how they tell me how trashy the Bachelor is, and they are right. I can’t tell you the joy I had when someone knew what I was talking about when I shamefully admitted to watching A Shot at Love with Tila Tequila. The only reason that I shared that I watched the show is that I figured she had never heard of it. Then she watched it. Nice. I never would have guessed but definitely felt like I had a new ally. I just can’t bring myself to look down on the shows because they are so funny. They are my guilty pleasure. Everyone has a guilty pleasure. Maybe it is a doughnut or sleeping until noon on Saturday. I personally can’t sleep in and I am trying to eat healthy food (oops I went on vacation) but I love these TV shows. Definitely not praiseworthy.
I have a friend who gets money out of her bank account every time she goes shopping so she can spend it on whatever she wants, even if it isn’t useful. I think that is a good pleasure. My sister in law has “Brookie Money”. She can spend it on whatever she wants. Expendable income is a great thing for a guilty pleasure. Some people buy useless Halloween T shirts for their children and some read romance novels. I watch a shot at love. I felt a lot better after going to a lunch where someone said they liked watching the Tudors. Blockbuster’s online rental service recommended that show to me so I rented it and it is filthy! Shockingly so! I felt a little weird that they recommended something with so much profanity and sex, and I didn’t know what to think about the show. I don’t know if anyone at the table had seen the show, so I think my friend felt comfortable sharing that she liked it. It’s like telling someone who doesn’t speak your language all your complaints. Maybe that is why so many German's felt the need to tell me all the worst things they had ever done. Or why I complain to some of my friends about others they don’t know. It’s anonymous and safe.
I had mixed feelings about the finale where Tila got dumped, because it seemed so staged- I felt like Kristy was covering her face to hide laughter rather than cry. I will watch the next shot at love though. What’s your guilty pleasure?

mablebrown (July 7, 2008 at 1:04 AM)  

I'm all about guilty pleasures! Chocolate, Soap Operas, online stalking, online shopping, expensive shampoo and linens...Oh and my trashy HBO guilty pleasure is Sex and The City. I've heard that the Tudors is excellent, I just haven't had time to devote to a new series yet.

Post a Comment