Dear Waitress

Dear Waitresses across America.
I really appreciate all that you do.
Please stop touching me.
This includes rubbing my back and shoulders. Each time you come to the table you can feel free to shove the food in front of my face if I'm not looking. I don't care if it surprises me. I think I might actually prefer being surprised by food to being touched on the back. No rubbing, my massage, no side hug from the back, please.
What it is about pregnant ladies that invites touching? The other day I went out to dinner and every time the waitress came to our table she ended up touching me. This was probably the first time I actually wanted the waitress to check on us less.
So to that waitress, you should know that I don't want a hug or congratulations. Even if I look like I could use a massage you don't have to fill that need. Plus you forgot to bring more bread and my aunt wanted to eat it with Jarlsberg cheese which is yummy. Thanks for bringing me my daughter's backpack when we forget it. Why am I the only one that gets a hand squeeze as well as the backpack? I am not sure if the unwelcome touching reverses the positive return of the backpack or not.
I hate strangers touching me. Waitresses- you are still a stranger even though I trust you to bring me my food without poisoning it.
Also, I would like to publicly tell everyone that asking about pregnancy is fine. As long as we aren't in the bathroom. When I go to the movies I don't want to be cornered in the public restroom and talk about the spacing of my children. Why does everyone ask if this is my first baby? People with kids still go to the movies I promise. It almost makes me want to skip washing my hands just to get away from ladies who tell me their labor stories while I am trying to get back in before something interesting happens in the movie.
Thanks -Janae

sivab (August 9, 2009 at 7:33 PM)  

Janae, I feels so bad for you. The whole experience just makes me want to put my arm around you and tell you how sorry I am that that happened to you. I also kinda just want to rub your tummy. ;)

HeatherandTanner (August 11, 2009 at 8:33 PM)  

I've heard a lot about the touching thing. About how random people feel like they have every right to come up to pregnant women and touch their bellies. I can tell you right now that I'm pretty sure anyone who isn't related to me will get the hormones to answer to if they try to touch me....

Brooke (August 12, 2009 at 7:27 AM)  

That was a super funny post. I like it when strangers touch me and esp. massage me. I feel loved. Not so much waitresses but large men named Juan or Tyreek.

mablebrown (August 15, 2009 at 10:50 PM)  

Speaking as a former waitress, I never touched my customers. Gross. As a Nurse, touching people is the worst part of the job. Oh and also, looking at EVERYTHING. Man, I really have picked the wrong jobs!

Post a Comment