My Birthday: Marriage Excellence Journals


Today is my birthday. last night baby Mark slept through the night the first time ever. He went to bed at 11:00. He is still asleep.
I just died a little of happiness.
So it's time for a new installment of- John and Janae's Marriage Excellence Program! Because marriage totally rocks. especially compared to being single in college.
A Journal-
A journal can be a beautiful thing. I just listed a Keep calm and carry on journal/notebook in my shop You can write about your dreams, your thoughts, your loves. You can record when your children played and how much you love your life. Now my church always tells people to keep track for your posterity. keep a journal, record your life.
This reminds me of a time when I was trying to tell John he always responds badly in a fight. He asked for specific details. Seriously most people can't remember the exact conversations they had about fighting. Well they can't remember them a few months later but what about if you kept a daily log? Could my religious institution be guiding me toward marital excellence by recording specific times? How much more valid would my complaint that he "never puts his shoes away" be if I had a log of every time I put those suckers in the closet?
It's time to be a record keeping people. For the sake of your marriage- write down when these fights happen. Saying "we always fight about dishes" doesn't mean anything if you haven't kept a record.
The John and Janae Program actually advocates three journals, the record keeping journal is the first of these. You know your spouse has asked you what the heck you are talking about in a fight- now you will be able to tell them.

C (May 13, 2010 at 10:14 PM)  

Ha! Why didn't I think of that?

Mel (May 14, 2010 at 6:01 PM)  

Happy Birthday, Janae!

Unknown (May 22, 2010 at 12:33 PM)  

John still doesn't know that "responds badly in a fight" generally means that he continued to express disagreement. Detailed enough?

Seriously, a journal is the best application I have seen to date for your Keep Calm and Carry On logo. Can you take that idea and run with some lifestyle coaching? It's not Seven Habits, but it feels warmer and could succeed.

HauteSingleMama (May 30, 2010 at 8:50 AM)  

Hahahahaha I follow you on Twitter but hadn't been to your blog - you're freaking hilarious! Definitely following your blog ;)

Nicole

Post a Comment