Junior High Jinx


Yesterday marked the beginning of an important thing in my life. A new season of the Bachelorette. I am almost as happy as I am disappointed that Shaun Johnson won Dancing with the Stars. How could she? She is just so darn bubbly. Of the 30 guys available of course she picked the weird foot guy and a guy with a horrendous crushed velvet brown suit jacket, but at least skinny tie and white socks went home.
That's not what this is about. The highlight of the show- the breakdancing. There was a dance off between professional breakdancing instructor and the short body builder guy. compensating? Anyway the dancing itself wasn't what was so fantastic of course, but a comment about the dancing is my favorite things I've heard in a long while. "Those were some of the best moves I've seen since Junior High"... or something like that. My friend Jeff was a good breakdancer but that was in High school. Junior high... I didn't actually go to Junior High, we had middle school and high school started in 9th grade.
The other day I was visiting someone and I said something the same time they did. They counted to ten and then said jinx. I don't remember everything from earlier than Junior high days but where I was from there was no counting involved in Jinxing someone. My husband explained it to me earlier tonight. According to him, you count to ten after you say jinx and if the other person says something before you get to ten they are not jinxed. For those of you who had forgotten more of those elementary days if you are jinxed you can't talk until the person releases you. I didn't honor the jinx for several reasons.

1. I realized I am over the age of ten. At this age all Jinxes expire forever.
2. They said something before they said jinx, thus nullifying the Jinx.
3. Did I mention I am no longer prepubescent? (see earlier posts about finding a car- you could totally jinx that guy)
4. I spoke before they reached ten.
5. John is wrong about the rules. I don't have to honor these new and in my opinion inferior rules. even though I don't really remember how to get out of a jinx... I thought if you could catch them and say the same word they do you get out of it.

Why are there different rules for such a basic thing? I would love to see more adults jinxing each other in professional settings. Or maybe it would just be annoying.
In English we say great minds think alike, but in German they say "Zwei Dumme Eine Gedanke" which means Two Idiots One Thought. They would rightly be too ashamed to point out saying the exact same thing someone else said. I don't know if German's ever try to jinx each other. and if they do counting to ten certainly isn't involved. Learn shame people, learn shame... like in Junior High.

kathryn (May 21, 2009 at 12:53 AM)  

I try to jinx Pete all of the time, but he doesn't play along. I didn't know there was a difference between junior high and middle school. I guess I went to middle school like you.

mablebrown (July 17, 2009 at 9:17 AM)  

The Germans are so awesome. I think I need to go move there.

Post a Comment