Sunday Thoughts on Tuesday

Well today I went to church for an activity. I even wore a bonnet. The activity talked about remembering the pioneers and making sure we took the time to take care of our spiritual development. I liked it.
I know- it's amazing that I went. there was a fantastic cake though, and I worked out enough to get points for that cake. I was a little appalled by the song about the nine year old freezing to death (I guess maybe that gets the emotions going but I thought it was in poor taste) but I like the idea of remember the important things in life.
Do you think maybe it is exploiting religion to write about a girl freezing to death from the perspective of that girl? Or just really creepy?
OK I should really let it go, but I felt like I must be an alien since no one else gasped in shock when it started. and I was narrating a part so I was sitting in the front of the church trying not to make faces. Some ladies cried, which I can also understand. Overall I'm not in any danger of going out and buying the CD of "inspirational" music. Maybe I'm just not the right target for "Mormon" music.
Or Mormon art, but at the risk of getting a little too crazy sounding I won't talk about that.
Instead I think I should mention that I'm trying to be healthy and lose weight.
so that's all I get to do. I got an OMRON pedometer and I try to take 10,000 steps a day (which contrary to what someone told me today you DO NOT get just from chasing kids- unless you also happen to go on two 1.5 mile walks with those kids each day in addition to cleaning up after the kids and cleaning your house. then again her house is REALLY clean so maybe...) and I also have been tracking my food with weight watchers (except when I went to the wedding because HELLO that's no fun). and I've been working on the Jillian Michaels Winning by Losing book. She has some really great circuit training routines. You might think to yourself- gosh I haven't seen Janae in a while. Because this is literally all I can do. I eat healthy and work out like a maniac and lose very little weight. I still love you guys. and I still think about lemon bars a lot. if you ever want to come over and walk around my neighborhood or work in my yard for more steps that would be fun. Or we could watch dancing with the stars. or if any of you would ever join the gym I go to we could go ever day. OK realistically only 5-6 times a week. Some days I walk on my treadmill with the options of a 10% and 20% incline. It makes my legs sore.

Some things just don't work out quite how we would wish- like my dream that Michelle would be the next bachelorette. Now I will look forward to watching boring ashley H or whatever her name was but I hope they don't get as many douche-bag guys as they sometimes do. It seems like they are having a hard time casting good people- celebrity apprentice has a way cooler cast than dancing with the stars.

p.s. today my omron pedometer dropped an entire day somehow- they claim I took 0 steps today. I am so mad I want to spit. Maybe I will get 20,000 tomorrow. it's just a problem with the management software not the actual pedometer... I hope it works itself out.

Missy (March 16, 2011 at 3:52 AM)  

Great post. I feel like you have read my mind.

1. Yes. Mormon music/paintings/literature can be very emotionally manipulative. And while that is great for some people, for me it backfires. Maybe I'm to cynical.

2. Weight loss is a real bitch. I've been sugar free for three weeks and I'm about to tear my eyeballs out for a no-bake cookie. BOO!
But I have seen (slow) results, so I guess it's worth it in the end.

Suzy Tranter (March 16, 2011 at 10:03 AM)  

Looks like I finally made a debut on the blog! I'm assuming you clearly didn't get my sarcasm in that statement...you must have forgot that my littlest doesn't even move yet so I don't have to chase him very far. I would be offended except you said my house was clean so that makes up for just about anything :)

janaemadsen (March 16, 2011 at 11:18 AM)  

dear suzy: your house is sickeningly clean for someone with a newborn. It makes me want to take a nap for you. :-)
glad you're not offended- overachiever :-)

NaDell (March 16, 2011 at 11:32 AM)  

I agree with you about some of the music, but it's not just in Mormon culture, is it? Christmas music is like that too. Christmas Shoes, anyone? Super sad.

Carlie (March 16, 2011 at 11:32 AM)  

I agree, there is a lot of emotionally manipulative Mormon art. However, after watching two seasons of 18 and Counting on Netflix, I've determined there is a lot of manipulative Christian art. I saw a kind of emotionally manipulative Muslim pop song music video. LOL. I'm finishing my first week of weight watchers on Friday, and i secretly want to have lost 20 lbs by then. Sigh. Slow and steady. i figured out I like oatmeal without sugar, so I can use that point for something more filling. I was running every day, but because I'm stupid, i pushed myself too far one day and injured my foot. I'm worried I gave myself a stress fracture, but I'm just paranoid.

The Blind Spot (March 16, 2011 at 5:28 PM)  

Ach, wie schön wäre es, wenn wir Nachbarn wären, dann könnten wir gemeinsam ins Fitnessstudio gehen, Gartenarbeit machen oder einfach nur auf der Couch liegen und quatschen. Ich bin froh, dass ich dich letztes Jahr besuchen konnte (und ich habe noch immer deine beiden Teelöffel, die du uns mitgegeben hattest - so habe ich immer ein Andenken an dich). Kopf hoch, Abnehmen ist schwer, aber nach und nach wird es bestimmt immer besser!

sivab (March 16, 2011 at 9:10 PM)  

Hey Janae. Sorry I haven't spoken to you in awhile. Turns out we have been doing the same thing. I am also pedometering and keeping track of "points". I decided I should get back on the wagon before summer hits. Mark took the kids away so I had a staycation and I exercised, turned eggs and ate old fruit the whole weekend. I think some weight loss progress was being made until I typed in the two creme eggs at the end of day 2. Turns out those suckers are super super bad for you. I also learned that on average I consume at least twice my daily point allowance. My weekly allowance is used up after day one of sunday cookie binge. BUT I do have over 11000 noncheating steps today and that is much more than your 0 like 11000 more. When mark is done being sick we can hang out together and be grumpy, hungry, exercisaholics. xo auntie sara

Crystal Escobar (March 18, 2011 at 4:25 PM)  

Good for you for getting healthier by tracking your calories and steps you take. I've done Jillian Micheals once and I was sore for days!!! Such a great work out, I need to do it more.

Post a Comment