Emergency camping

Yesterday John went to school and I decided to plan a surprise. It was lots of fun- I packed up our 72 hour kits which also happen to be all of our camping things and picked him up at the train station with baby, dog, and camping gear. It was exciting to be able to plan a campout and get our baby and myself ready all in 15 minutes. On the way to the train stop I was a hazard and found a place to hike in our hiking eastern Pennsylvania book. It was harder to find everything online and I had to plan the whole thing in about 15 minutes. John doesn't have school Wednesday so I thought it would be perfect to surprise him and try out our emergency preparedness. We haven't been camping in so long and it seems like November is really the perfect time. Danielle was thrilled when we got to the hiking place. I couldn't find the short 5 mile hike I had found since it was harder to find and it was already dark outside at 5:30 when we got there so we went to a 7 mile hike. Danielle jumped into her baby carrier. Here are some things I learned

  • There are no state or national campgrounds open in November in Pennsylvania. Many of them are being renovated. So we didn't actually get to camp
  • The 72 hour kit food bag was separate from the rest of the 72 hour kits
  • Danielle needs warmer gloves
  • it seems like when you only have a few baby coats and fleece pants your baby is compelled to dump water on themselves.
  • Taking pictures of a baby in the dark of the car will usually get you a cute smile picture and other times get you a nose picking photo.
We had so much fun hiking and I was so proud of us. I carried Danielle and John carried a massively heavy pack with most of our things. Austin carried the food and water that we brought.
We even brought our bright orange clothing- last time we tried to go climbing we quit when we saw a man stalking into the woods with a rifle and read the "Hunter's wear orange- do you?" sign. Biking clothes are a good source of Hunter's orange or a more attractive fluorescent yellow.
I forgot my camera but I can post an excellent "captured in the night" photo of Danielle showing me how she can pick her nose. It all started when we taught her the names of different body parts. eyes- fine- belly- fine- ears- fine- nose- instant nose picking. How can I teach her the difference between nose and pick your nose? Only time will tell.

HeatherandTanner (November 12, 2008 at 9:54 AM)  

That sounds like you guys had a great time! I live in a hiking area and I NEVER go hiking! I probably should! And I'm confused... how did Austin carry your water and food?

NaDell (November 12, 2008 at 10:28 AM)  

That seems like a great test of emergency preparedness. Smart to try it out. Now you can see just how portable your emergency kit is, right?
Sounds like fun, even without camping.

mablebrown (November 13, 2008 at 12:48 AM)  

You are brave for even considering camping in November! You also have the coolest baby ever.

Claire (November 13, 2008 at 10:07 AM)  

Love the funny baby picture.

Jennifer (November 13, 2008 at 10:03 PM)  

Well, I guess Danielle IS the kind of person that doesn't care if people see her picking her nose.

You get definite brownie points for planning a camping trip, huh? Way to go!

Rachelle Sharp (November 19, 2008 at 12:40 PM)  

Love the picture of Danielle. Having tested this out with her, I can personally vouch that yes, she does indeed pick her nose. But she is really good at finding her eyes and giving five too, so it all "evens out."

Post a Comment