Sunday Thoughts


The baby Mullet is a rare and precious thing. As someone who grew up in the 80's I have a great respect for the mullet. I remember a special variation called the rat tail featuring just a tiny long hair in the back. Rock from first grade sported a rat tail. That was before he transferred schools after an embarrassing playground fight. Did his rat tail give Rocky an advantage? I think so.

I don't think about Mullets very much. Honestly they gross me out. But I understand that they hold an odd power over people. People in certain states just can't get away from them. I noticed this on our drive down to Georgia. I remember my sophomore year of college Brandon Dayton sold shirts about the glorious mullet. I tried to use Google to find a photo of his with a mullet. He is an illustrator. no success though. But I think he did make money with the mullet shirts.

why am I thinking of Mullets you might ask? Because I went to church this week. Not that I miss church very often but we have been out of town for a while and the distance has made me notice certain things. Like the children's Mullets. There is a child in our ward whose mullet is growing out. Or rather, the rest of her hair is catching up with her tiny braided rat tail. After many weeks of wondering finally someone explained to me that she had a condition where she pulled out all of her hair but the little hair in the back was left over. Her parents still wanted her to feel like a girl so they allowed her to keep the little bundle of femininity. Danielle rubbed and still rubs the hair off the back of her head and is mostly in danger of an oddly shaped bowl cut, but I never thought of the possibility with a rat tail. Is it wrong to thing these parents possibly hurt their child in the long run? I don't know anything about children who pull their hair out- I've heard of it and I know the girl is getting better so they probably know better than I do, but I do know about people who are bitter about childhood haircuts they were allowed to have. Like most of the kids in the 80's.

So I am heartless. I was thinking of this on Sunday when the girl (who is recovering albiet with rat-tail) was walking by. Then I noticed something else- a new haircut. One of my friends- who I like, seems to have given their child a mullet. Now I can't say for sure if it is purposeful or just one of those accidents that happsn since children tend to rub off the hair in the back. Can I ask my friend if she seriously wanted to give her child a mullet? What would my follow up comment be when the answer is yes? I kept trying to get a better look at the child but he was being fussy and left the room. Another friend just sent me this fantastic photo of her child's mullet. I love it!

There went 10 minutes of speaker, and they were well spent.

NaDell (February 24, 2009 at 9:00 PM)  

I think I am sending you two pictures of Olivia's mullet. Her hair would not grow on top or the sides. I tried to pull what she did have on top up to ponytails, so most of the time, it wasn't too bad, but she totally had one.
There is/was a family in my brother's ward whose sons all had yucky mullets. Their mom, sisters, and dad: NOPE. It was weird. I think the boys were told that to pass the sacrament, they needed to have a clean cut. That ended that.

Post a Comment