Secret Dancer


Something about being a mom brings me back to things I wanted to do in gasp- high school. I am reminded especially of dance parties I would have with my friends- Just a few of us, dancing out hearts out. I don’t think that we were particularly good dancers- we weren’t like the girls that got together for dance parties after hours and hours of practice at the dance studio. Danielle and I have private dance parties. The 15 year old discovering movement is excited that Danielle seems to laugh when we get to dance together, and I love dancing with just to two of us. Sometimes when daddy comes home too since he will dance with Danielle, but I guess I am just more of a secret dancer. Two days ago I discovered Danielle is a secret dancer as well. She always likes it when we have music on in the car and on that particularly fussy evening we were trying to find a station that wasn’t too annoying. Out of the corner of my eye I saw Danielle lean her head forward in her seat and start to dance. As soon as I was seen the dancing stopped and she looked out the window, nonchalantly. It almost never happened. Then a few minutes later another of her favorite songs came on and the dancing started again. If she was discovered her audience the fun was over. Now and then Danielle hears the music and is moved, and sometimes she does her spinning dance with no music, but I know she is hearing the call of the secret dance.

Claire (August 23, 2008 at 6:56 PM)  

Danielle is such a cute dancer! And I think it's hilarious that she loves Justin Timberlake so much.

Post a Comment