Stockings

one of the most sacred traditions of Christmas is the stocking. The best presents come in stockings- small ones that are wrapped in small print paper. My mom always had plastic bins that she used for our stockings and I loved them. I love the cute little things you find and that there is always an orange in the bottom. We all open our stockings with so much excitement I am surprised we make it to the presents. My grandmother Sharp made all the family stockings and I always liked that they matched. Having a stocking with your name on it is so exciting- and we got to take turns finding a spot for our stockings before we went to bed.
Well this year we got out the Christmas stockings and I realized how disappointed I was in John's. My grandma didn't want to make any more so she doesn't make them for the in laws of her grandchildren. John's stocking was sadly store-bought, and it doesn't even match. Also I discovered that I have Paul's Christmas stocking- maybe I stole it for Danielle since she doesn't even have a stocking. I suppose Paul might want that stocking- but he is also invited for Christmas. That way he can pick it up instead of me mailing it.
After thinking about buying matching ones I got sad- I love my stocking! So I decided to finally use the pattern my grandma Sharp sent me for stockings. I really wanted John's and Danielle's stockings to match my stocking. I have had the same stocking my whole like and I love it. My dad still has his from growing up and stockings are probably my favorite part of Christmas (thanks to my mother's mad stocking skills.) I thought of making really simple ones with only red and white since most of our ornaments (on the front of our tree) are red and white and all of our wrapping paper is. Then I asked John what he wanted on his stocking. He said the three wise men and the star. This was a little bit fancier than the three felt stars I had planned. I decided to post a picture of the stocking I made John and ask- what should I put on Danielle's stocking? John suggested sheep and I thought- oh I could also put a manger in the background- the only problem is that her stocking would be pretty bland if it had sheep and a manger- no color at all. She really likes robots- but should I put them on her stocking? I don't know what to do. You can't see it in the picture but I put John's name in his stocking. and I hand embroidered some of the wise men's clothing. I am pretty proud of that thing. Maybe Danielle wants to wise men too.
The other stocking is based on what one of my friends wanted but I don't know if they will like it. Especially when it is next to my wise men stocking.

Claire (December 16, 2008 at 1:02 PM)  

I want the pattern for stockings! Your stockings look great.

Post a Comment